(image from hellohoneyno.com)
our first crafty project was to make a scarf that requires no knitting or sewing. in fact, all you need are some old t-shirts and a pair of scissors. our inspiration came from hellohoneyno, this old dress and punkn’s.
the process is pretty simple.
1. grab some cotton t-shirts you don’t wear anymore. larger sizes tend to work better as do non-ribbed shirts with no side seams. small logos on the shirts work fine, too.
2. grab a pair of fabric scissors if you have them, otherwise any scissors will do.
3. lay the shirt out on a flat table in front of you.
4. cut the hem off the bottom and put it aside.
5. cut the shirt into 1-1 1/2 ” horizontal strips all the way up to the armpit.
6. grab 3-4 shirt strips in both hands, and gently stretch them out. the strips will naturally curl into themselves.
7. once you have done this with many of the strips, it is time to get creative. try draping them, wrapping one end with excess fabric, combining colors, braiding them, attaching beads, pins, old jewelry, etc.
as with most fashion, it is all how you style it. these scarves tend to look best when they are thicker and worn with a plain colored white, black or grey t-shirt so that the scarf really pops.
I found this at http://www.methodhome.com/blog/getting-crafty-hipster-scarves